Monday, December 17, 2018

Watching and Waiting: Fire



(I had nearly a whole long photo essay ready to post, and somehow with a click, I lost it all. So tonight, Gerard Manley Hopkins to my rescue.From The Wreck of the Deutschland, Part 3.)


              Now burn, new born to the world,
              Doubled-nature'd name,
The heaven-flung, heart-fleshed, maiden-furled
              Miracle-in-Mary-of-flame,
Mid-numbered He in three of the thunder-throne!
Not a dooms-day dazzle in his coming not dark
                    as he came;
               Kind, but royally reclaiming his own;
A released shower, let flash to the shire, not
                    a lightning of fire hard-hurled.




3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Sorry about your lost post. I hate when that happens.

Janet said...

I love that candle in the middle. Where did you get it?

AMDG

Sheila said...

Janet, it's actually a very inexpensive candle that my parents gave me once, probably from a dollar store. I cut out part of a Christmas card (from our very own St. Paul's here in Memphis) and taped it around the outside. I just keep using tea light candles since the original candle became un-burnable a few years ago. I'm glad you like it, and I also think it's lovely! And special because of the givers.