Sunday, December 16, 2018

Christmas Clothespins


God is with us in so many ways. In no way do I intend disrespect by suggesting that He is with us even in the form of clothespins. Hear me out.

My beloved Grandmother at some point had some clothespins spray painted gold to use at Christmastime. I don't even recall what she used them for, nor when I somehow became the recipient of some of them. I began using them to pin Christmas cards we received to a string or ribbon hung on the dining room window. Or hung from the mantel, at our former house.

Seven clothespins were not enough, so I used plain ones until one day of one year, while hanging up Christmas cards, I realized that I could also spray paint them and have a bunch more gold clothespins.  I had never used spray paint, which I guess is why I hadn't thought of it before. But I thought it couldn't be that complicated to buy some and paint them. So I did.



Ever since then I've had two contrasting sets of clothespins that I pull out during Advent as we wait for the cards to arrive. At first it kind of bothered me that the two "gold" paints were not the same, but not for long.

This year as I was taking them out, I noticed the difference in the colors. I also noticed the difference in the heft of the clothespins. Grandmother's, as you can see, have the two little indentations near the end. They are heavier than the others and better made. I couldn't find any like that when I was shopping for them. All they had were these slightly smaller, definitely flimsier, lighter-weight ones. I wouldn't want them for hanging clothes on a line. I can't imagine they could hold onto a pair of denim jeans. Still, they are fine for hanging Christmas cards. But I still prefer the others, the older ones.

They are built more solidly. They have a firmer grip. They were carefully painted. I didn't realize until it was too late that when I painted mine, which I did in a bit of a hurry, I missed some spots. But Grandmother's are solidly painted, fully covered. And of course, best of all, they were hers. They were in her house, in her hands.




And Grandmother was among the first people to teach me about God. And to love me, which she learned from God. And to show me through the trials of her life and in her many letters over the years, how much she loved and trusted in God.

And so these solid, firm, whimsically golden clothespins, because of my Grandmother, speak to me of God and faith and love. And I do my best to imitate. And even though my attempt didn't turn out quite like hers, it helped me bring  forward to the present something from Christmas past.

God is with us in so many ways. Even in the form of clothespins.


5 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

That's a wonderful story! I like so many things about it: I love clothespins and hanging clothes on the line and have noticed over the years that wimpy clothespins are proliferating! I was able to find some sturdier ones a few years ago - but don't remember where. It wasn't Walmart!

I also have hung old Christmas cards on ribbons for decorations many years, but I never thought of using clothespins for that task. This year I'm not decorating much, because none of my family will be here, but next year might find me spray-painting a few clothespins myself. :-)

It's a great treasure that you have the heritage of faith and love from your grandmother.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm popping over from Pom Pom's blog.
How lovely that you have your grandmother's clothespins.
I have a very old box of clothespins that I haven't used. They are marked at 35 cents ( for 3 dozen) so they must be old.

Janet said...

What a nice thing to have. I love the things I have that belonged to my grandmother.

AMDG

Sheila said...

Granny Marigold, I am curious whether your clothespins are the newer type, with the spring mechanism (like these), or the older type that I guess is more like a pin, where it's just carved out? I remember using those at Grandmother's house, as she had several. I was always fascinated by them. I kept one from her house after her death and just love seeing it.

Sheila said...

Gretchen, I also love hanging clothes on the line. Or loved, back when I had a line for hanging them. It was a huge part of my life growing up, and then living in Europe. Since then, I haven't lived anywhere where I had an actual clothesline. I'm hoping the future holds that possibility. There's nothing else like that fresh smell.