Sunday, December 09, 2018

Carols of Praise



Good tidings of great joy!

My post a couple of months ago about blogging more regularly seems now like a fuzzy dream. It was not so smart to set that goal, perhaps, shortly before making a three-week trip overseas, coming home to a family wedding, Thanksgiving guests, and then having all the catching up to do with that.

But today is the second Sunday of Advent and a good time to renew that goal, and I've been encouraged by a group of others who are blogging daily in December, so maybe I'll catch some of that energy and keep this going.

That angel up there looks a little like I feel. Not extremely energetic, but doing his part. I'm not sure where the artwork came from, but it's on the front cover of the program for the Lessons and Carols service I sang in tonight. Lessons and Carols is my favorite event of the Advent/Christmas season.





I remember the first time I ever heard these words. It was Christmas Eve in 1994 or '95. I turned on the public radio station and was amazed to hear prayers being prayed and the scripture being read. We had only fairly recently come to live in the States, and public radio was fairly new to me, but not so new that hearing scripture being read didn't seem like a sort of miracle. When I realized it was a cathedral full of people and heard them praying the Lord's Prayer, it struck a place deep inside me.

I kept listening and was delighted to be introduced to the Lessons and Carols service and to the fact that it aired every year. It was such a beautiful surprise, and I recall having tears of wonder and joy in my eyes more than once as I sat on the floor wrapping gifts and listening.





A few years later I was equally surprised to learn that this service was actually performed in our very city, and it wasn't long after that, that I joined the choir so that I could be a part of it.





Perhaps I'll write more later about why this service means so much to me, why it so often brings tears to my eyes. It has to do with lonely exile, gloomy clouds of night, and sad divisions--and the hope of Emmanuel in the midst of all that.





This (above) is the place in the service where I nearly always realize I'm not going to make it much further without a tissue. It is absolutely glorious singing this descant arrangement to "O Come, All Ye Faithful," with the choirs, the congregation, the organ and brass ensemble. If sound could somehow show in the air, I think the whole space would be sparkling with gold and deep blue at that point. It's a powerful beauty that pierces some deep place in the soul, the way only music wedded to words with deep meaning can do.

Of course the air doesn't actually turn gold and blue. So I'll end with another bit of the front cover








5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Sheila! Yes, we're all set and you're in! I love your post and I find it so touching that you were so pleasantly surprised to hear worship and carols on public radio. After teaching school for almost 10 years, I felt that way about being around believers. It felt so lonely at school. Now I especially savor the connections with followers of Christ.
God be with you today, new friend.

Granny Marigold said...

A lovely post which I enjoyed reading.

Janet said...

Glad to see you have joined the group.

AMDG

M.K. said...

I jumped over to your blog from PomPom's blog. Welcome to our little group of bloggers who are attempting to blog in December :) First, I love Gerard Manley Hopkins. Second, I adore the quote at the top of your blog because I have absolutely ALWAYS believed that the elements of nature -- each part -- in the Garden were able to sing and shout and praise. Scripture is so full of it, it seems the reality is part of our distant human memory. They simply lost that ability when we sinned and it's part of their curse that they grieve under. So I love that quote.
Third, Lessons and Carols is also my favorite moment of the Advent/Christmas season. I grew up in a very large Presby. church, and we had a gorgeous Lessons and Carols service each year. It felt magical to me -- the dimness of the sanctuary. The quiet of hundreds of people. The candlelight. The simplicity and beauty of this very different service. Then I was old enough to sing in the choir myself, and it was even more wonderful! We're in a tiny (very tiny) church now, but we also have a L/C service, and my desire is to make it just as magical and wondrous. I'm glad you found this and love it too.

ellen b. said...

Happy to come here via Pom Pom's blog. Lovely post and I appreciate the prayer in your post before this one.
I'm ellen b. from https://happywonderer.com/