Sunday, December 04, 2011

Technology and My Dad

Technology is often on my mind, because you can't get away from it, and because for me it becomes more and more challenging.

My dad is often on my mind because--well, just because he is my dad, and I learned a lot from him. And continue to.

Tonight the two converge.

I sat down to share a photo and write about it, but for WHATEVER reason, this program, or this computer, or this webpage, or SOMETHING will not let me access my photos. A box is popping up that I have never seen before, saying something that makes no sense to me whatsover. By that, of course, I do not mean that I do not understand each word and the grammatical correlations of the words, the syntax, etc. It's just that all put together it is meaningless to me because it's addressing a problem I don't even understand, let alone understand how to follow the directions for the solution.

And now the screen is telling me in red words, "An error occurred while saving," so who knows if even these words are going to be publishable?

Hmmm. Apparently they were publishable, because with my limited technological savvy I pushed "Publish Post," as I always do, and it worked.

So, how does my dad fit into this?

It's that I remember a time many years ago when he said, in the context of comparing a newer car to an older car, something like, "The more fancy little things they put into a car, or into anything, the more things there are that can go wrong." I think at the time we were talking about having automatic windows versus the kind you literally rolled up and down.

And a few years later I recall his remarking that he missed the days when, if he had a problem with his car, he could open up the hood and have a pretty good chance of figuring out what was wrong, and even a good chance of then being able to fix it. But that once they started putting computers into cars, it became impossible for people to do their own diagnosing and repairing, because the technology was beyond what could be handled with basic tools and knowledge.

So now I can't put photos on my blog, and I do not have the technological know-how to even understand why, let alone do anything about it.

Ugh.

And I don't want to spend my time learning all the in's and out's of the technology, because it will just change in a month or two! I want to take pictures, and I want to write.

But for now I guess I'll just "Publish Post" and see if I can find someone to help me....

No comments: