Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Books

My sister, the librarian, had this set of questions on her blog and suggested that we her dear readers answer them on our blogs. So, for the fun of it, here we go.

What was the last book you bought?

Acedia and Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer’s Life, by Kathleen Norris.

Name a book you have read MORE than once.

Mere Christianity, the Chronicles of Narnia, To Kill a Mockingbird, Little Women, Les Miserables (no, just kidding on that last one….I would like to read it again, but I don't know when it might happen....)There are others. I tend to re-read things I want to stay around in my mind.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

Hearing God, by Dallas Willard.


How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews

I love to see books done beautifully, but I generally buy them because of what I’ve read in reviews or heard from friends.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?

I love reading good fiction, and because of life activities tend to read a lot more nonfiction.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?

I see no point in making it an either/or issue. Good fiction is written well, which includes having a plot that matters. I’m not in need of “gripping” plots, as I don’t thrive on suspense. I think a lot of bad writing is out there that people “can’t put down,” but I’m concerned about the effect reading such stuff has on people’s minds….

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)

I don't know that I could pick one....I might have to think about that and maybe write about it separately someday.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

I don’t keep books on my nightstand.

The ones by my reading chair are way too many….and yes, I’ve started them all….Parker Palmer’s Let Your Life Speak (re-read) and A Hidden Wholeness, Marsha Sinetar’s Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow (re-read), Dallas Willard’s Renovation of the Heart, Gary Thomas’ Sacred Marriage, Slavenka Drakulic’s CafĂ© Europa, Norcross and Guy’s Leaving It at the Office, Poe and Mattson’s What God Knows, Barbara Sher’s It’s Only Too Late if You Don’t Start Now, The Life of Teresa of Avila by Herself, The Music Lover’s Anthology of Poetry…..and a few more……And I’ll probably finish them all over the course of a few months, on an as-needed basis.

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?

The last book I remember finishing was Tolkien’s The Return of the King. That was in September.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?

A wise piano teacher once told me, “Life is short. Play only music that you love.” I feel the same way about reading. If I get into a book and don’t find myself really loving it or really learning something from it, I’m not going to finish it unless it’s required for some reason or another.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

'The Music Lover's Anthology of Poetry' sounds interesting, as do many other things here.

I'll pick this up over the next week or so, if I may, but it's one of those things I'll need to give some thought to, I can never answe these kind of questions straight off. I do agree about the plot/writing matter not being either/or. I think I have sometimes read the odd thriller, mystery type book which I've known wasn't very good, but it's kept me going on the strength of wanting to know what happens next, but I think I'm less and less inclined to waste my time like that now.