Friday, July 04, 2008

Tuscany Talk

Recently I was talking with someone about my recent trip to Europe. He asked for the highlights, and I told him about the day spent visiting Strove.

This friend has not been to Italy, but he did see the movie Under the Tuscan Sun. He said, "From what I've seen of that area, it seems like it's a very soothing sort of landscape, a soothing place to be."

Soothing. I had never thought of Tuscany that way. But I think he's right, and told him so. The gentleness of the hills, the orderliness of nature after so many centuries of people and nature sharing life together. The way the curves of hills and lines of trees balance each other. There is a balance, a harmony.

Soothing. Maybe that's part of why I love it so much, because I need soothing. I don't know for sure, but it makes sense.

(It's July 4, I have a three days in a row off work. I'll try to post some more pictures and get this trip documented at last!)

No comments: