Sunday, May 28, 2006

We're back!

Sitting here at my desk, surrounded by familiar objects, doggies lying in the hallway, it's hard to believe that just ten days ago I was standing there at that church, surrounded by ancient stones, seagulls flying in the sky. (I'm in the lower left, with the backpack.)

We are back. Got in yesterday late afternoon. Feeling the jetlag and thankful for a day off tomorrow before returning to work.

The flight went well. En route I got to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I feel a sort of kinship with the Pevensies and Professor Kirk, in that I sometimes feel that I live two different lives in two different worlds. Just that it takes a bit longer going back and forth via airplane than it does via a magic wardrobe or magic rings (rings are from The Magician's Nephew, if you haven't read it.)

Even though I've spoken English for the past 24 hours, I find that my brain is running Croatian words and phrases through much of the time, and last night's dreams, and even the dreams from this afternoon's short nap, were all of people and places in Croatia.

The church in the photo is the one I wrote about earlier, Sveti Donat. When I asked a local where to find the best ice cream, in her Dalmatian accent she told us to go to "Donat." She didn't use the "sveti" (saint), and since Croatian doesn't use definite articles, my mind supplied one and thought she was referring to the round area on the map as "the doughnut."

Once I figured out that Sveti Donat was a church, I started thinking of it as "San Donato" (the Italian version) so that I could get the doughnut image out of my mind.

As you can see, the church has a round look, but that's where any resemblance to a doughnut ends. It is an amazing place.

I'll be posting more photos over the next few days, so please come back for a look at the other world I live in from time to time. The Chronicles of Croatia.

And now, off to bed....My body is still mostly living in the other world's time and is more than ready for some sleep! Laku noc'! (Good night!)

2 comments:

Lawrence Underwood said...

Bienvenidos a Memphis y su casa!

I'm so glad that you arrived home safely. We are looking forward to you photographs. When you posted about St. Doughnut the other day we looked it up and were in awe of its sublimnity and history. Wow, what a history.

Dorme bien!

Sheila said...

Thanks for the welcome home!