Sunday, January 05, 2020

Now I Begin

I thought I would sleep in on January 1st. Rudy, our dog had other ideas. He, of course, had not stayed up to midnight, and apparently he felt like 5:00 was a good time to get up the next morning. Since his getting up sometimes means "knocking" on the door to the hallway to be sure someone is aware it's breakfast time (at least by his reckoning), my morning didn't go as I had planned.

And I'm so glad. After tending to Rudy, I decided to make the most of it, lit a candle, and waited. The window in our bedroom faces east, so I turned the chair so I could face east also.


Early morning has always been my friend, but because of the trees all around and the closeness of the houses where we live, I rarely think of trying to see the sun rise, because it's just so hard to see it until it's higher in the sky and all the pretty colors have faded. And many mornings when I am up around that time, if I do look out, all I see is gray turning to blue.

But New Year's Day, as I sat there and looked, I could actually see, between the roofline of our house and the neighbors' trees, the rosy presence of the sun coming up, like a flower blossoming beyond the trees. The night's condensation on the window blurred the view, but it was perhaps more lovely for the gentle blurring.



I have been reading Fr. Timothy Gallagher's latest book, Overcoming Spiritual Discouragement, which is based on excerpts from the writing of a priest, Fr. Bruno Lanteri, who lived through the death of his mother at an early age, significant health issues that affected the choices available to him in vocation, significant setbacks in his ministry, and even arrest and exile because of Napoleon's attacks on the church during the time of the French Revolution.

We talk about making New Year's resolutions, but I think we often forget the word "resolve" that they depend on. Determination. Firm commitment. Fixedness of purpose. In the life of Fr. Lanteri, his plans and his work were interrupted in ways completely beyond his control. But rather than giving up, he began anew. And clearly the ability to come back from political exile and start over at the age he did, came from a lifetime of developing the virtue of perseverance. From the book:

Say then with boldness, "Now I begin," and go forward constantly in God's service.
Do not look back so often, because one who looks back cannot run.
And do not be content to begin only for this year.
Begin every day, because it is for every day, even for every hour of the day,
that the Lord taught us to say in the Our Father, "Forgive us our trespasses," and,
"Give us this day our daily bread."

And recognizing that sometimes we falter because of our own choices, he wrote:

If I should fall a thousand times a day, a thousand times a day I will begin again,
with new awareness of my weakness, promising God with a peaceful heart, to amend my life.
I will never think of God as if he were of our condition
and grows weary of our wavering, weakness, and negligence.
Rather, I will think of what is truly characteristic of him and what he prizes most highly,
that is, his goodness and mercy, knowing that he is a loving Father who understands our weakness, 
is patient with us, and forgives us.



The book has been such a blessing, and reading it right around the turning of the year has made it even more so.

I have several unfinished projects, unrealized ideas. New Year's has given me time to reflect on the things out of my control over the past decade (a job ending, turmoil of moving into private practice, my mom's serious health problems and death, neck pain, a nerve block, and two major surgeries, extended family crises), things within my realm of influence but still unexpected (the opportunity to do a Doctor of Ministry degree, time-consuming commitments at church), and the things that are very much my own responsibility (procrastination, sometimes plain old laziness, struggling with the addictive pull of the Internet.)

For all of these, I have found it so helpful to say, "Now I begin," no matter when I originally had the idea or started the project, and no matter how often I fall into bad old habits. It has been so helpful in moving forward and letting go of the past.

I'm so thankful I was unexpectedly awakened and had that sunrise moment. I'm thankful for Epiphany tomorrow and a continued meditation on the theme of light. And the Light.

And I'm thankful for the words of Fr. Lanteri:

Above all, I have asked the Lord to give you great courage and firm hope in God,
so that by this virtue, overcoming all discouragement 
and striving not to lose that precious time the Lord gives us,
you may attain greater good for yourself and for others,
especially since the Lord has given you so many means for this and the desire to accomplish it.



Now I begin.



4 comments:

Tom said...

Sheila, what a lovely and uplifting post. One day at a time, and it's always a new day, is a good approach. May you - and Rudy - have many more early mornings in 2020.

Sheila said...

Tom, hello to you and to Lucy! I hope it is uplifting to others; it was definitely worth my writing down for my self, in any case. And I'll take that blessing of early mornings with the condition that Rudy stops "knocking" (scratching, actually) on the door. I'm going to have to work on that a bit with him....Blessings on you and yours for this new year.

GretchenJoanna said...

A good exhortation! Even the seed of beginning, that realization that I need to exert myself and go forward, I am starting to see as a great gift. When I take that gift and build on it... well, your post says much about that. Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Sheila said...

Yes, GretchenJoanna, I'm with you in that. The littlest things mean so much, and the longer I live the more that becomes clear. Happy New Year to you, too!