Friday, January 22, 2016

All Creatures of Our God and King



It snowed here last night. Because I'm recovering from foot surgery, I won't be going out in it, and there really isn't enough to make me want to take pictures through the windows. But it brought me to my blog, nonetheless.

While I don't intend for my blog to be primarily a record of deaths, it seems that in this period of limited time and energy for writing, deaths and anniversaries of deaths are what have brought me here to write more than anything.

Of course that is because the lives of those who have died are so beautiful and are so much a part of my life that it doesn't seem right not to remember and celebrate them.

I haven't written about it yet here, but our sweet dog Paolo died on December 4. We never knew his exact age, but based on what we knew, we think he was nearly 17 years old. He had been with us since October, 2000.

I hope to write more later about him, his life and his death. Especially after thinking so much about St. Francis in order to write the previous post, he who is known for his love of all God's creatures, it would not seem right not to write about the little doggie who has been my companion and friend since before I had even considered having a blog.

For now I share simply that he is buried under the tree in the photo, at the home of some dear friends, where the concrete planters are standing guard over him until spring.

And that Wednesday I received this photo along with the following message:  "Thinking of you. Beautiful blanket of snow over Paolo's resting place. Kids keeping him company today as they sled in this teeny snow."

Everything about this says "Alleluia!" The sweetness of this dog, the loving kindness of these friends, the peaceful beauty of this hillside and its trees, the quiet beauty of snow, the joy of children sledding.

Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures.


3 comments:

Miriam C. said...

Lovely post, Sheila!
God's relationship with the non-human creation is a mystery - a beautiful surprise to wait for when "the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God." Rom.8:21
“For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12

Tom said...

Regardless of everything that may be thought and said around the subject of death of our four-legged companions, there is still the practical business of grief to deal with. I offer our thoughts and spiritual support at this time having gone through the process ourselves within the last eighteen months. Oddly, I still expect to see her sometimes, or catch myself behaving as if she were still here. But the pain does ease with the passing of time.

Sheila said...

Thank you so much, Tom (and Lucy.) I am not surprised that you would experience that with Molly--expecting to see her sometime; like people we love, they just become part of our hearts and lives, and that doesn't just suddenly change, so I think it's just natural. I appreciate your kindness.