Thursday, December 20, 2007

Window





The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
on them has light shined.

And we have the prophetic word made more sure.
You will do well to pay attention to this
as to a lamp shining in a dark place,
until the day dawns
and the morning star rises
in your hearts.

-from recent Advent readings in Isaiah and II Peter

This is the view from the window above my prayer desk. I have the bottom covered with (sigh of embarrassment) tissue paper, which was a quick fix when we moved in some years ago and did not yet have curtains. You can’t tell from this photo, but it actually looks nice, lets light through but blocks my view of the neighbors backyard, so I haven’t changed it all these years.

But the top of the window is best. Here I see the leaves come out green, turn colors, and fall. Here I see the birds flutter about, the squirrels run through the trees. And just Tuesday (the day I took the photos) saw a hawk soar up from a branch, just as I looked up.

On Tuesday the light struck me. It was cloudy much of time I was sitting there, and then suddenly came the light, and here it is. Light in darkness. Much like prayer, sometimes.

4 comments:

Gioietta said...

I love your home...I have always seen it as a beautiful expression of who you are...you share the things you love, the things you care for. It is just beautiful :) I didn't realize you had a prayer desk and I think the tissue paper idea is great, because it lets in light...plus those pictures are great! I can't believe it just came from your home!

Sheila said...

Thank you, gioietta. :-)

Years ago I read a quote by William Morris:

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

He also is quoted as saying:

"Any decoration is futile ... when it does not remind you of something beyond itself."

Maybe that's why people seem to like our house so much. It is packed with meanngful things, and doesn't have room for much else!

Sheila said...

I think it's obvious that I meant to write "meanIngful." I should preview my comments!

Lucy said...

Thanks for sharing your Advent thoughts, and this lovely glimpse of your home. Much appreciated.
Happy Christmas, Sheila, and a very peaceful 2008.